Friday, May 8, 2009

Saturday, May 2nd, 2009


Once again, getting to sleep was a hell of a problem. Someone said it takes a day for every hour of time change, so I have a while to put up with this yet. I spent the day doing a fair bit of walking, this time minus the computer, but with my journal, in case I felt so inclined. I toured Merrion Square, as well as St-Stephen’s Green, a lovely park, kind of like Central Park , but much smaller. The flowers and trees were in full bloom. I got some nice pictures, which I am hoping to be able to post to the web. I use Picasa and have noticed the button there AND I have a Google email address too—ever wonder how the heck we got by with only one email address just a few years ago!

Along Merrion Square, I came upon a Jewish wedding as the bride and groom exited (nobody in that family and circle of friends was short on cash; the clothing and cars were from a red carpet affair). I believe Gabriel Byrne lived right near there with his then love, Aine. Why do I know this? Because I read everything I can about him and discovered he lived on St-Stephen's Green way back when, so when I was walking down the street a little 'Gabriel bell' went off in my head, and I decided to seak him out....can you hear the Twilight Zone music playing now? I'm in love with him, so say the boys....perhaps....mostly, I think it's just an appreciaton for the finer things in life; in every way.....if every man thought like he did, our world wouldn't be such a screwed up place; Hollywood wouldn't exist either cause there'd be no one to photograph! Besides you have to admit, even at 59, and since he's lost a few pounds and cut his hair nice and short, he looks pretty damn fine. Sorry, I digress....

Because it was Saturday, there were lots of locals strolling, hand in hand or with baby carriages. The weather was terrific, actually hot in the sun, so people were sun bathing and visiting and reading and writing and taking pictures of the flowers. I sat and wrote in my journal for a bit, but don’t have it handy right now. On the outside, along the fences of Merrion Square, I looked at the art work and bought a small painting to commemorate the trip.

Unfortunately, I am writing this on the 8th of May, and I forget the small details. I know that I ate lunch at a Sparta just down the road, and watched the many throngs of people in red for Munster (Cork) and white, for Leinster (Dublin) walk past me with their back packs and flags and children headed to the biggest rugby match that Dublin and Ireland have seen for many decades. It was scheduled for 2pm. I heard afterwards that Leinster won, and that there had been 82,000 people in attendance. Seriously now, people in North America, can you imagine???!!! Imagine 82,000 people going to see a symphony or an opera or to a theatre production.....We think we are nuts about hockey in Canada, but we have nothing on these folks. There are betting stores all over Ireland, and putting money on the games is not illegal. Men, well mostly men, sit in bars every night and watch the soccer or rugby game and have a pint. I think I already mentioned how much more alcohol is a part of their culture, but it still astounds me. I don’t think I’d better marry an Irishman, at least not one that hasn’t immigrated to North America. I know I’m painting them all with the same branch, but the alcohol thing and the hanging in the bar thing to watch sports would quickly bother me. While I’m criticizing, I should add that they are almost all very polite, respectful and helpful t tourists, unlike (again, a broad paint brush here) New Yorkers and Parisiens.

After lunch and my walk to the parks, I spent the last hour or so of opening, at the National Library, taking in the Yeats Exhibition. Fascinating man, and uber-talented family. I got a few good shots of the buildings as well. For the life of me, I couldn’t find the National Museum, which according to a basic map that I had was right there as well! It wasn’t until many days later that I learned, via a guidebook, that the beautiful round building with huge columns and arches that I stood right beside to photograph was the Main Entrance!!! I will do that on Tuesday, when I return, because it is closed on Mondays.

Around the supper hour, I headed for the hotel pool again and did laps for a half hour or so. I had a glass of wine in the sitting room, which I later took to my room and started the long process of repacking my bags for the trip on Ryanair. Good Night beautiful room, good night Dublin.

No comments: