Friday, January 1, 2010

Now I'm a painter and decorator!


Over the Christmas holidays, I have set about finishing the summer renovations in my office that began at the end of July.  Yes, that's what I said, the end of July, when a wall was taken down!  (Hey, when you're getting things done for free and doing them yourself, that's the way it is.),  I cancelled my trip to Rhode Island because I couldn't face another day living with the mess and chaos of what had become my daily surroundings. (I'm going in a few weeks.)  It was presentable for clients; some would say that it looked like a busy, professional office.  Problem was, I knew that behind my desk and around my feet were boxes of files that I refused to put away until I'd found the time to dig through them properly.  Shredder here I come!  (BTW, does it get better than Neil Young's Harvest Moon album?!  That and red wine should have me up half the night again!)

It's been 2 and a half years since purchasing this building and I still hadn't found a proper mirror for the office bathroom, and had procrastinated on wallpapering and adding the final touches.  I've promised myself many things these past months, and among them was that I would head into work on January 4th, 2010 with, at least, a clean slate where my daily surroundings were concerned; I desperately needed to adjust my Qi (pronounced Chee); my space needed aligning in every sense of the word.

This a picture of one of the drywalled corners, which I sanded and remudded once since my brother-in-law Randy put the drywall up.









To the left, along the door, was the major mudding spot.  Between the door frame and the light switch, all along the doorway, was a hole caused by installing a new jam, and hanging the door, which Randy did to perfection. It was too small for a piece of drywall, so we used meshing and plastered on top of it.  This required at least 5 sessions of plaster or mud, followed by sanding.  Every time you do this, your room is destroyed with a fine mist of white powder.  It's just not something that you can do on any day, because you have to have time to clean again before clients come in!

Unfortunately, I downloaded a program called Double Twist to use with my Blackberry, and it has screwed up my photos.  I am really peeved about this because I had some great shots to post.  Hopefully, in the days to come, I will somehow be able to retrieve them from that damn program and put them back into other photo folders.  Here is what I can get as of Jan 1:

version 1

v2


        version 3



Back wall:
version 1
v2


version 3



Ah...... and here is the bathroom final shot because that's all I can retrieve!

It's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it!!  Hopefully I can post the one of me sandwiched between the wall and toilet!  At the very least, it'll be good for a laugh.  (Now, Bon Jovi's Make a Memory is playing;  I did, I did make a memory, John.)  BTW, the mirror was a gift of love from my step-dad for Christmas.  It hides an ugly fuse box.  Now, mom, I have a 'professional' bathroom...thank you for the measuring!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Renovations look great Stephanie! Office and bathroom really turned out well. What do you charge? How do you get all your labor so cheap??